Walking 1000 miles from Lands end to John O'Groats in aid of The Air Ambulance (starts april 7th 2024)

Monday 8 September 2014

Day-34 unexpected kindness

After a night listening to the screech of birds (owls?) in the beech trees overhead, I wake early with no great rush to get going as my first move is for provisions in Garstang. I quickly find a Booths supermarket and purchase a bench breakfast (exactly as it sounds!) and food for the day, moving off from said bench I head back to the canal.
Out of town the canal briefly follows the M6 to Bilsborrow where it slowly (as is the won't of canals) veers west, passing some canal workers repairing the tow path a few hellos are exchanged before continuing quickly on.
Leaving the canal for Woodplumpton, I stop at the Wheatsheath pub for dinner and a pint, great pub and great people here as I raise another £8 and then as I pay I'm told the food is free! That really caught me of guard as it's very much a first for me! Can't state how appreciated that was!.
Walking away with a full stomach and a smile I cross the M55,and head into Preston where walking along I see a chap in the uniform of the canal repairs team, not just any worker but one of the guys in the pic!.once I leave the canal I appear to have become invisible again!  People obviously too busy to say hello.
Finding a Lidl store I stock up again for the evening and cross over the river Ribble at the bridge, here I become visible again! And chat with a cyclist who is considering cycling an end to end route... Do it!, nice bloke and a good chat at the end of which he also donates!.
Walking from the clamor of the busy roads to the quiet of the riverside embankment the city soon fades away and I'm among wildfowl and a different raucous noise for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment