Walking 1000 miles from Lands end to John O'Groats in aid of The Air Ambulance (starts april 7th 2024)

Wednesday 24 April 2024

Roman around Bath

Extra rest day .... Totally needed and deserved.. .. Being a tourist a massive bonus in Bath I finally get the chance to see the Roman baths! Not to mention the beautiful mix of Victorian and Georgian architecture! 
And to top it off today the sun was shining really bringing the local limestone of the buildings to life with a beautiful warm glow! 
The baths.... I can't go into enough detail on this short blog, but between the Roman title Aqua Sulis(Minerva was added later) meaning waters of the Celtic/Brittonic god Sulis this being the only hot spring in the UK it was deemed magical at least! 
 I have a bit of a link to this area, in my metal detecting, the first Celtic coin I found was a silver unit from Antedios of the Dobunni tribe who controlled this area and up into Warwickshire.... Nice to see a similar coin on display in the museum to! 
The hot springs are indeed nicely warm and ignoring the rules I did of course test the temperature! I wouldn't fancy a bath in the stagnant green waters tho!, gifts to the gods were made at the springs mostly coins but one stunning gold Penanular brooch has been found(pic!) jaw droppingly beautiful!
To any metal detectorist the small finds here are pretty familiar fibula of various types and even Roman curse tablets were deposited... Nice to know what one looks like.... It's going to save me unwrapping no end of lead trash now 😄
I don't want to go into great length because the Baths are well worth a visit and I encourage anyone to visit! 

A wander around town for provisions for the next few days and meths for my stove and I'm back to the hotel to rest .... By evening I'm feeling back to normal! 
Lots of eating going on will fatten me a little.... But I'll soon burn that off. Happily the roads ahead are much more civilised!

No comments:

Post a Comment