Walking 1000 miles from Lands end to John O'Groats in aid of The Air Ambulance (starts april 7th 2024)

Wednesday 24 April 2024

unexpected Thunderbolt!!

The chewton wood wild camp worked out well, only slightly damp this morning! 
As it's Saint George's day I've carried a small flag to wear in celebration!
Weather is starting dry but the air feels heavy with possible rain.... Glad to say it didn't arrive while I walked! 
Dry as it was I wandered through pleasant pasture and the usual sticky crop fields to Farington Gurney quick stop at the co-op for a second breakfast and through the village as the kids go to school, car dodging reaches a new skill level as I dodge the frantic mum's dropping the little ones off!..... Passing the church and into the fields gives respite before I again hit the B roads through Paulton and Radford to Camerton , hopping onto the limestone link long distance path here I meet a local walker who told me about the local mining history here ... I never expected to be walking through an abandoned coal field here!! The chap used to be a GP and told me of his predecessor "Berty Crook awful GP great surgeon went down mines to free people by amputation!!!" I love local stories!!!
Through the old mine workings now lush greenery, over the high waste piles and down rickety steps at crazy angles!
Safely through I met the local postman who once again was a natural story teller! Notably for me was that an old favourite 1950's movie "The Titfield Thunderbolt" was filmed along the dismantled railway track I was walking! , further along at Dunkerton one scene where a train v train tug of war was filmed for the movie was visible! .... A bit of nerd heaven! 😄
Here I leave the level trail and unsurprisingly find a hill to climb.... Yep another killer! But vastly nicer than the alternative of an A road, I'm feeling the preceding weeks of waking today! So as I'm heading into Bath I decide to take an extra day off, with a premier Inn booked for two nights in the middle of town this makes for a great place to visit the Roman baths and a gentle mooch around town!.... Plus food food food! 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment